We offer a reliable supply of process water as well as wastewater treatment and technologies for all aspects of pulp and paper water management within your plant, including black liquor treatment.
Water cycle and environmental impact: challenges faced by the pulp and paper industry
Consumption of large volumes of water.
Production of high quantities of wastewater and sludge.
Recovery and reuse of water and other waste generated by mills.
Reduce environmental impact, while keeping operations economically feasible
How Veolia is committed to helping pulp and paper clients
Veolia Water Technologies helps you overcome economic and environmental challenges by:
- Optimizing mill performance.
- Providing efficient water treatment solutions.
- Improving energy efficiency and making energy savings.
- Assisting you in reducing the ecological impact of your activities through resource recovery.
Adaptable solutions for all pulp and paper players
Water treatment plants
Considering their high capacity and high responsibility within pulp and paper mills, water treatment plants are a design priority and must feature:
- Ease of operation.
- Reduced OPEX and reduced CAPEX, taking into consideration civil construction and erection services.
The same elements of reliability, ease of operation, and reduced CAPEX and OPEX must be taken into consideration for demineralization plants. In order to produce high quality water to feed recovery boilers and/or to wash the pulp in the mills where the production of dissolved pulp is done, our plants operate with Reverse Osmosis (RO) or Ion Exchange (IE) technologies. At these mills, an important part of the condensate can also be recovered through the condensate polishing system, which is in the same area of the demineralization plant.
Wastewater treatment plants
Choice of raw materials, products made as well as local conditions, standards and environmental regulations often define the technological concept of a mill wastewater treatment system. Through our global technology center Aquaflow, we provide complete wastewater and sludge treatment systems that comply with industry standards in terms of performance and sustainability.
- Aerobic treatment is most widely used, and it is generally based on activated sludge and/or Moving Bed Biofilm Bioreactor (MBBR) technology.
- Anaerobic treatment is an interesting alternative for warm effluents with high energy potential. Unlike other effluent treatment technologies, anaerobic processes produce renewable energy by means of biogas, while generating very little to no sludge. This solution allows you to increase profitability in a context of stringent environmental regulation.
- Sludge dewatering and disposal is gradually becoming more and more challenging, due to stricter environmental standards and more complex sludges generated in advanced wastewater treatment systems. We offer a full line of sludge dewatering technologies, ranging from pre-dewatering to advanced sludge dewatering units, tailor-made to different sludge qualities and needs.
In addition, we undertake refurbishment and upgrade works for aging facilities to comply with new regulations.
Black liquor treatment
We are also the world leader in the design and supply of black liquor evaporators. Crucial to the recovery process, our HPD® black liquor evaporation systems provide highly efficient chemical recovery with concentrations of up to 80% total solids to the recovery boiler while producing high-quality condensate for reuse, leading to the preservation of the water source and to reduce costs.
To complete the recovery cycle, we provide complementary water treatment technologies for different applications such as ash treatment.
We help our clients meet their fiscal, production and environmental objectives by providing systems that recover valuable products and by-products, reuse/recycle valuable water resources and reduce effluent volume through unique evaporation and crystallization process design and technology.
Pulp and paper clients that trust Veolia
Reducing water usage for Irving Paper Inc.
Veolia Water Technologies helped pulp and paper manufacturer Irving Paper Inc. to reduce its water usage.
Through an innovative solution for paper mills, we produced high-quality water for use in paper production by blending it with river water.
Our solutions allowed Irving Paper to make major energy savings while relying on high-quality water.
Discover our water treatment technologies for the pulp and paper industry
We have hundreds of references in pulp & paper and have provided water, wastewater and demineralization plants to the most modern mills in the world. Our technology center Aquaflow has been dedicated to the pulp & paper market for over 50 years and provides reliable, economical and safe water treatment solutions.
Business Development Director
Veolia Water Technologies
Contact Rubens Perez through his LinkedIn Profile